1. More people commit suicide in New York City than are murdered!
Discover magazine found this to be true in a September 2006 article. This discovery is staggering as there were 921 murders in 2006 alone. That means that almost 1,000 people in what is considered to be the greatest city in the world killed themselves.
2. 4.6% of residents are millionaires.
This means that 1 in 21 New York City residents is a millionaire. Woah! Does anything else even need to be said?
3. Home to the highest number of billionaires.
Speaking of income inequality New York City is home to 78 billionaires according to Forbes.com.That is 10 more than the next three American cities (LA, Dallas, San Francisco) with the highest number of billionaires as residents combined.
4. The actual city of New York will pay a person deemed to be homeless a one way plane ticket to another location if they have a guaranteed place to stay.
The New York Times first reported this practice in 2009, and it was later confirmed to still be going on under current Mayor Bill De Blasio in 2014 by multiple news outlets. Essentially the city ships these people elsewhere when they have a “confirmed” place to stay. Well, I guess New York City won’t be taking any Syrian refugees.
5. The city’s abortion rate is double the national average with 37% of pregnancies ending in abortion.
This information was derived from a NY Post article in 2014 where they highlighted New York City’s continued abortion problem. Not only are abortions rampant within New York City, but teenage girls are getting pregnant at a staggeringly high percentage, 23.6%. That’s almost one in four teenage girls.